Why New Year’s Plans Often Fail
Every January, millions of people make promises to themselves in New Year’s Resolutions.
- “This is the year I finally get in shape!”
- “This is the year I will do a triathlon.”
- “This is the year I lose the weight!”
- “This is the year I start my business!”
And then, by February, the vast majority have failed already.
Let’s talk about why.
If we discuss a few common reasons why well-intentioned resolutions fail so often, then maybe we can find a better way to reach the desired end.
- They’re too vague. Instead of saying, “I want to get in shape,” say you’re going to spend 15 minutes walking around the neighborhood twice a week. (Don’t worry – it will lead to more.)
- Don’t be so demanding of yourself. Realize that the best change is gradual.
- Choose to do something positive that you enjoy, and then you won’t have to force yourself to do it every day.
- You don’t track your progress. If you want to eat better, download an app to record what you eat every day. If you want to slim down, take a photo of yourself each week so you can see that, despite how you might feel, you really are making progress.
- You don’t know your “why.” If you don’t have a compelling reason for doing what you’re doing, it’s bound to fail.
- There’s no date set to accomplish the goal. Set a date and create a mantra around it. “It is March 30th, and I completed a triathlon and feel stronger and healthier than ever” repeat it often!
- Follow a proven system. Surround yourself with others on the same journey, and hire a coach if you need help.
The key is to examine your desire a little more deeply, and then take little, bite-sized actions each day to get started.
As they say, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” And is followed by another… and another…
As a gift, here is my 90-minute Vision Planning workshop recording.
The feedback was excellent. Please use it to help create a true vision for 2023. It will only be available this week, so don’t delay!
Need some help in creating your version of your best life? Click this link: http://www.scheduleyou.in/5ZIsVaU to schedule your FREE Triathlon Breakthrough Session and let’s do it together!
Erinne Guthrie is a USA Triathlon Level II Certified Coach since 1999 and Chief Motivating Officer at Full Circle Coaching, LLC since 2010. She has been training, racing and coaching triathletes since 1997. She is also a CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach Level 3, USMS Master’s Swim Coach, Motivational Speaker, Metabolic Efficiency Specialist, Mom and much much more.